From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 01:42:54
1 On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 04:40:38PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> It just seems like we should be able to get by without a semiweekly
4 >> kernel upgrade on our "stable" branch.
5 >
6 > You want me to slow down and do releases in larger chunks then? Hah,
7 > not a chance...
10 To clarify - I wasn't criticizing your release schedule or making all
11 those builds available in ~arch. I was only concerned with the idea
12 of making all those hit stable. I think the kernel team (including
13 yourself) have been doing a great job with the stable kernels in
14 general.
15
16 Just one other note - stable packages in general don't just benefit
17 from arch testing. They also benefit from users running ~arch and
18 reporting issues. Stable ebuilds are ones that have generally been
19 used by many others for about a month already, so issues are likely to
20 have been caught.
21
22 I do agree with all that has been said about there being a tradeoff
23 between new regressions and new fixes. Unless we run year-old kernels
24 with tons of backports we're going to have that problem. We aren't
25 RHEL.
26
27 Rich