From: Pierre-Henri Jondot <Pierre-Henri.Jondot@×××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: ak_personal@××××××××××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installation Instructions improvements
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 06:01:01
1 On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 02:36:00 +0200
2 Andreas Karafyllis <ak_personal@××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Hello everyone!
5 >
6 > I installed before 2 days the 1.4-rc1 version (from the UT2003 CD) using
7 > an ADSL connection and I would like to suggest some improvements and
8 > corrections to the installation instructions. Before that, I would like to
9 > say THANK YOU for this great distribution. Keep the good job. After
10 > testing the last years a lot of different dists, I think that this time I
11 > found what I was looking for.
12 >
13 > I describe my suggestions under the title of the corresponding sections.
14 >
15 > 2.Booting
16 > ----------
17 > I use a german keyboard (I am a Greek living in Germany :-)) and I was not
18 >
19 > prompted to choose a keyboard layout after I logged in as described in
20 > this section. This can be a VERY difficult situation for some people and
21 > certainly a very bad first impression.
24 Agreed. The small iso for gentoo 1.1a took care of this... This has been
25 forgotten in 1.4_rc1 isos... Hope new isos (and especially with better
26 hardware support) will come soon.
27
28 > 5. Configure installation networking
29 > ----------------------------------------
30 > The instructions about the ADSL subscribers are a little bit confusing.
31 > There is only a note which refers to another document. I think that this
32 > reference make thinks complicated and should be removed. At this point you
33 > have to do only "adsl-setup" and then "adsl-start" (net-setup eth0 was not
34 > needed in my case). Therefore I suggest to remove this note and add a
35 > subsection for the ADSL configuration using the following listing:
36 > # adsl-setup
37 > # adsl-start
38 >
39 Done...
40
41 > 14. Final steps: kernel and system logger
42 > ----------------------------------------------
43 > Many things here.
44 > a) I decided initially to use the gentoo-sources. But when I was
45 > configuring the kernel using "make menuconfig" I could not locate the XFS
46 > module (I choosed the XFS filesystem for my root partition in the previous
47 > steps). You should have a big warning here in which sources is available
48 > the XFS. Finally I used the XFS sources of course.
49
50 You're right... The build document could be made clearer there...
51
52 > b) The notes and warnings must be BEFORE the code listings. Many people
53 > (like me ;-)) are not so patient and execute the listsings before reading
54 > all the paragraph
55
56 Hmm... Well, if it can serve as a lesson, learning new users to think, and
57 read the docs, before messing things up, it is not such a bad thing...
58
59 > c) I realized later (after booting) that my adsl connection was not
60 > working. I suspected that probably I forgot something when I was compiling
61 > the kernel. I booted with CD again, brought up the ADSL connection and
62 > made an lsmod to see which modules are loaded. I realized that the problem
63 > was that when compiling the kernel I did not included the "PPP support for
64 > async ports" (ppp_async) and "PPP support for sync tty ports"
65 > (ppp_synctty). Both are needed (and the pppoe of course)
66 >
67 Not sure about the second (synctty) because it is listed as (unused) on my
68 system, but quite confident pppoe is not needed at all... But a note has
69 been added to the build instruction to that effect...
70
71 (N.B. : PPP support for async ports is needed for the async mode of
72 rp-pppoe, which is the default, PPP support for sync tty ports is needed for
73 the sync mode of rp-pppoe (to be enabled by editing /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf) as
74 well as another one. As for pppoe, it could only be used when rp-pppoe is
75 built with kernel mode pppoe support, which is not currently done by the
76 rp-pppoe ebuild.)
77
78 (I was perhaps wrong though about the compression algorithms in the build
79 documentation... Sometimes they are needed it seems, sometimes they aren't.)
82 Pierre-Henri Jondot <Pierre-Henri.Jondot@×××××××.fr>
83 Page perso : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/phj