From: Olivier Crete <tester@g.o>
To: Brad House <brad_mssw@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: [gentoo-dev] kernels, etc.
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:01:34
1 Hi,
2
3 I see you arguments, but I just dislike the idea of "yet another kernel"
4 to maintain... But if you want to maintain it... maybe call it..
5 amd64-experimental-sources...
8 Olivier Crete
9 tester@g.o
10
11 On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Brad House wrote:
12
13 > Yes, that's true, but it seems as there may be a lot of
14 > beaurocracy to deal with, etc to get relevant patches
15 > in. At this point it's true that there aren't many needed
16 > patches, but I could definately see in the future when
17 > more Chipsets for the athlon64, etc arive that it could
18 > cause headaches. Eventually it would be nice to get all
19 > those patches merged back into gentoo-sources, but an
20 > amd64-sources might be a good testground to prove stability,
21 > etc to make sure it doesn't have any adverse effects.
22 > Also, there's some stuff within gentoo-sources that hasn't
23 > been tested on other architectures, or is known to not
24 > properly work on other architectures (e.g. preempt). Though
25 > I'm not certain any of these will cause problems on amd64,
26 > I can't guarantee they won't.
27 >
28 > -Brad
29 >
30 > Olivier Crete wrote:
31 > > Hi,
32 > >
33 > > Even tho most of those things are found on a amd64 system, they dont seem
34 > > to be amd64 specific, wouldnt it be better to push for them to be included
35 > > in gentoo-sources... I frankly dont like the idea of having another kernel
36 > > for amd64. You might have noticed that all of my initial porting efforts
37 > > were based on the vanilla-sources and the the current amd64 livecd uses
38 > > vanilla-sources too.
39 > >
40 > > Olivier
41 > >