From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] packages.gentoo.org lives!
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 15:35:16
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > My quote was from the first sentence of RFC1738, sec 3.3 (HTTP), para 4.
3
4 Missed that, sorry.
5
6 >> Redirecting clients to new URLs would give you perfect caching as well.
7 > That's why I say i'm willing to do redirection at the cache level.
8 > I do NOT want lots of users with old links to hit the actually web application
9 > if it's just going to redirect all of them to a page that is already in the
10 > cache.
11
12 I thought you were doing caching/redirects on a service that sits before
13 the real webapp .
14
15 >>> - The old parsing and variable usage code was the source of multiple
16 >>> bugs as well as the security issue that shuttered the site.
17 >> Only because it passed the raw, unescaped values directly to shell,
18 >> which is of course badly broken.
19 > Have a look at the recent discussion about HTML5 issues
20 > (http://www.crockford.com/html/), which also applies to web applications:
21 > "HTML 5 is strict in the formulation of HTML entities. In the past, some
22 > browsers have been too forgiving of malformed entities, exposing users to
23 > security exploits. Browsers should not perform heroics to try to make bad
24 > content displayable. Such heroics result in security vulnerabilities."
25
26 I can't follow this one -- how are broken browsers related to
27 non-standard URLs? Why is an attempt to invent a competitive standard to
28 XHTML related to URLs?
29
30 >> Now that's something that sound reasonable. Why limit the period and
31 >> don't provide it forever?
32 > Time limited to force everybody to move over, and to not have to support
33 > the redirections for the old version of the site forever, when they
34 > weren't advertised as permanent URLs.
35
36 My question could be re-phrased as "why don't keep those redirects", but
37 you did the work, so you decide how to run it and I have no problems
38 with that :).
39
40 > I did a quick hack up of some statistics, and I see that only 6.7% (5001 out of
41 > (69434+5001)) of the overall visitors were arriving at the old locations and
42 > not receiving the content they were originally interested in.
43
44 Fine with me, thanks for your answers and all the work.
45
46 Cheers,
47 -jkt
50 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth