From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: "Reinhard Brandstädter" <r.brandstaedter@×××.at>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Problems with INIT and $svcdir
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:58:48
1 On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 14:56, Reinhard Brandstädter wrote:
2
3 > questions:
4 > ----------------------------------
5 > * I guess the reason for the looping of the init is the not creating of
6 > /var/lib/init.d ($svcdir),
7 > but I can't explain why it's not created by the rc-scripts
10 It should be - check_statedir() is callled in /sbin/rc _before_ any
11 changes are done to /var/lib/init.d/, and it tries to create the
12 dir if it do not exist ...
13
14 > * why is there still a complaint
15 > ln: creating symbolic link `/var/lib/init.d/started/checkroot' to
16 > `/etc/init.d/checkroot': No such file or directory
17 > although I explicitly create /var/lib/init.d/started in the hostname
18 > script, and the root-fs is mounted read/write?
21 Well, that basically means one of two things (usually):
22 1) `/etc/init.d/checkroot' do not exist, or is a invalid symlink
23 2) You sill have some remaining side effects from the fs corrupion.
26 Not sure. Maybe run fsck on the partition a few times again with -f,
27 or cp -ax the contents to another drive, remove and recreate the
28 partition and cp it back (note: please do not do second if you are
29 not 100% sure you will get your system up and running again).
32 Cheers,
36 Martin Schlemmer
37 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
38 Cape Town, South Africa