From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: joining the Software Freedom Conservancy
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 18:52:47
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > While I think this would be an excellent move, there are a few topics
3 > that concern me a bit:
4 > 1) just to be sure, did someone check the transfer agreement between the
5 > Foundation and the old Gentoo, Inc for potential problems?
6 > 2) what would this mean for our copyright situation? In detail:
7 > a) who would (legally) own the copyright?
8 > b) what would (in theory) be involved if we'd want to enforce/change
9 > the license?
10 > c) if the copyright were owned by the Conservancy, would we have to
11 > change our copyright headers (in existing and/or new files)?
12
13 It might be worth noting that it appears that Gentoo would be the first
14 distribution to join. I'd be interested in knowing if the SFC considers
15 distributing closed-source or proprietary software (nero, ati/nvidia
16 drivers, vmware) to be "producing non-free software (as per the
17 Conservancy's charitable purpose)" as mentioned in section 2(b) of their
18 notes. Paragraph 2(a) seems to prohibit it.
19
20 > a. The Project Will Be Free Software. The Conservancy and the Project agree that
21 > any software distributed by the Project will be distributed solely as Free Software.
22
23 If that's not a problem I think this is a great idea.
27 dirtyepic you'd be tossed up or wash up, the narrator relates
28 gentoo org in a spartan antarctican walk for many days
29 9B81 6C9F E791 83BB 3AB3 5B2D E625 A073 8379 37E8 (0x837937E8)
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list