From: "Damon M. Conway" <damon@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage Organization - A User Perspective
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 14:26:13
1 I just installed Gentoo, and have been playing with it all day. Most of my
2 time on the system has been spent with the Portage system. I must say that
3 it is an impressive packaging system, and it works great. It's why I'm
4 switching many of my workstations from FreeBSD.
5
6 However, I find navigating the tree to be cumbersome and confusing. For
7 instance, when I didn't see Pan in net-news, I started trying to make an
8 ebuild for it since I assumed that it wasn't already in the system. After
9 commenting on #gentoo that I was making an ebuild for Pan, I was told that
10 it's in gnome-apps. I found that highly confusing.
11
12 This model of dependency organization doesn't hold true because galeon is in
13 net-www instead of gnome-apps.
14
15 Portage seems to have an identity crisis. It doesn't know if it's a
16 funcionally organized or dependency organized system. I can see how
17 organizing based on kde or gnome can be useful from a development
18 standpoint. However, from the perspective of someone using the system it
19 makes no sense.
20
21 Instead of using gnome-apps, gnome-office, and kde-apps, how about making
22 gnome and kde subdirs under the functionally labeled dirs? For instance,
23 pan would move from gnome-apps/pan to net-news/gnome/pan. That achieves
24 several things.
25
26 1. It defines a dependency for developers and users
27 2. It categorizes based on function for the users
28 3. It allows users to pick software for their environment (KDE or GNOME)
29
30 BTW, I hope this is seen as constructive criticism. I really like Gentoo,
31 and will be converting serveral of my workstations over to it. It's the
32 first Linux distro that's felt right, and has a packaging system I like.
33
34 my $0.02,
35 Damon (aka kabau on #gentoo)
38 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
39 would also stop you from doing clever things." --Doug Gwyn