From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:20:14
1 On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 09:26 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Luca Barbato wrote:
3 > > Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > in the general case, dash will typically parse faster than bash. but is
5 > > > this speed gain relevant ? if dash can parse an ebuild in 10% of the
6 > > > time that it takes bash, but bash can do it in a 1 second, do we care ?
7 > > > the majority of ebuilds are going to take magnitudes larger to get the
8 > > > job done
9 > > > (running ./configure && make).
10 > >
11 > > You may want to parse an ebuild not just for building it ^^
12 >
13 > true ... but i'd have to wonder if there's anything worth parsing out that the
14 > pregenerated metadata does not provide for you ...
15
16 pkg_* and stuff that binary package managers needs. Things that creates
17 user accounts etc.
18
19 I would actually prefer getting that stuff into metadata. It would open
20 up new doors for binary only package managers.
21
22 > i guess if you want to
23 > parse an ebuild that isnt in the tree thus lacks metadata ... but we further
24 > marginalize the use ...
25 > -mike
26
27 -nc