From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 23:39:38
1 Patrick Lauer:
2 > On Monday 15 September 2014 11:27:34 Kent Fredric wrote:
3 >> On 15 September 2014 11:21, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> iow, git doesn't allow people to work on more than one item at a time?
5 >>>
6 >>> That'd mean I need half a dozen checkouts just to emulate cvs, which
7 >>> somehow
8 >>> doesn't make much sense to me ...
9 >>
10 >> Use the Stash. Or just commit items, then swap branches, and then discard
11 >> the commits sometime later before pushing.
12 >>
13 >> Unlike CVS, git doesn't force you to work in "Keep millions of files in
14 >> uncommitted states" mode just to work on a codebase, due to the commit <->
15 >> replicate seperation.
16 > But that's the feature!
17 >
18 > I can work on bumping postgresql (takes about 1h walltime to compile and test
19 > all versions) *and* work on a few tiny python packages while doing that.
20 > Without breaking either process. Without multiple checkouts.
21 >
22 > I doubt stash would allow things to progress ... but it's a cute idea.
25 Please read up about git branches.
26
27 I don't see anything particularly broken. People use git to work on 10+
28 different feature at a time. It works.
29
30 Also, let's not derail this thread to git vs CVS, thanks.