From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 14:46:16
1 On 8/7/2016 10:06 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > I have no idea where James gets his information from, but I suspect it's
3 > a niche market where uni students do "clustering" - whatever that is.
4
5 Many of the new frameworks/servers that are developed for running or
6 managing clusters are written in Java, which is what he's referring to
7 as far as I can tell. Hadoop, spark, hive, pig, marathon, cloudstack,
8 zookeeper, and many more (see http://www.apache.org for plentiful
9 examples) are all JVM-based languages.
10
11 University students do not touch on anything related to clustering until
12 graduate level courses (I just graduated from the University of
13 Michigan), unless they work on that stuff as a job or in their spare time.
14
15 > The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
16 > (sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
17 > business/mobile ISP.
20 Yes and no, depending on what you find interesting. Plenty of web
21 applications are written in python or ruby, but I think it's safe to
22 assume that most high-traffic organizations have mounds of Java and
23 C/C++ services on the backend for various reasons.
24
25 Alec