From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving UID/GID assignments to api.gentoo.org
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 22:44:50
1 On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 10:51:52PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2019-08-10 at 15:49 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 11:29:50PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > Some time ago William asked me to move UID/GID assignments from wiki [1]
7 > > > to something more accessible. I've finally gotten around to draft
8 > > > something, and I'd like to hear your comments about it. The idea is to
9 > > > keep a whitespace-separated record format file in api.gentoo.org repo.
10 > > >
11 > > > This is mostly inspired by Fedora's format, specifically the ability to
12 > > > specify both UID and GID for matching user/group on the same line.
13 > > > I've also decided not to attempt to specify disjoint Linux and FreeBSD
14 > > > users/groups on a single line. Instead, they are specified separately
15 > > > and defined by providers (as suggested by Ulrich).
16 > > >
17 > > > Sample, along with big comment explaining the file format, below.
18 > >
19 > > I'm not sure how I feel about whitespace delimiters for this. withno
20 > > further specification, it would make these two lines completely valid:
21 > >
22 > > root 0 0 baselayout
23 > > bin 1 1 baselayout some notes here
24 > >
25 > > I propose using a colon like we do in /etc/passwd:
26 > >
27 > > root:0:0:baselayout:
28 > > bin:1:1:baselayout:some notes go here
29 > >
30 > > Thoughts?
33 > Worksforme. Do we allow extra whitespace in fields where it doesn't
34 > matter for alignment?
35
36 I'm not sure I follow your question.
37
38 I think alignment doesn't matter at all since things on api.gentoo.org
39 are meant to be "data files for automated processing and external
40 services".
41 So, whether fields have spaces in them is more about whether it makes
42 sense for the field to have spaces. Thinking about it that way, the only
43 field that should have spaces in it is the notes field.
44
45 William