From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 17:04:34
1 On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >
4 >> There's also libbash now:
5 >
6 > Looks like complete overkill to me, considering the simple task at
7 > hand.
10 Plus, wasn't the whole point that we can't guarantee that the bash
11 installed on a user's system can parse the ebuild until we've checked
12 the EAPI? If we use libbash doesn't that just keep the same
13 constraint but on a different package? Is the current stable libbash
14 guaranteed to be able to parse a bash v12 script?
15
16 If you just parse the file with a defined set of rules without regard
17 to how bash might parse the file, then you can determine the EAPI and
18 then decide how to source it. For all we know EAPI G will turn
19 ebuilds into python scripts so trying to read the thing with bash or
20 libbash will be doomed to failure.
21
22 Rich