From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on Discord
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:22:57
1 On 4/30/19 7:17 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 4:34 PM Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> In this article on chat services used for OSS:
5 >>
6 >> https://catfox.life/2019/04/28/keeping-libre-software-accessible-to-all/
7 >>
8 >> I was surprised to see a mention of Gentoo as a project that uses "Discord
9 >> as an official method of communication". When I searched, I indeed found
10 >> https://discordapp.com/invite/gentoo. However, I'd never before heard we
11 >> were using Discord (and didn't find any mentions of Discord on the -dev or
12 >> -project mailing lists).
13 >>
14 >> Is this indeed an official venue? It's not listed on
15 >> https://gentoo.org/support/ (which does mention IRC).
16 >>
17 > I'm trying to understand why it matters. Lets assume we decide it is, or is
18 > not. What would you expect the project to do differently?
19 >
20 > I feel like the whole thread is trying to debate something that doesn't
21 > really matter, so I'm trying to grasp why we are having this conversation.
22 >
23 > -A
27 It matters if things are perceived as official Gentoo and causing a
28 negative reputation as in the article in this thread. One some level
29 that actually goes to trademark infringement that should be of interest
30 to the foundation, but the issue is broader than that.
33 Kristian Fiskerstrand
34 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
35 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3