From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PSA: switching default tmpfiles virtual provider
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 19:16:56
1 On 25.11.2020 13:57, Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > In case you don't know, opentmpfiles has an open CVE
5 > CVE-2017-18925: root privilege escalation by symlink attack
6 > https://github.com/OpenRC/opentmpfiles/issues/4
7 > It has been an issue for quite a while, reported 3 years ago,
8 > and not much changed since.
9 > Also it lacks any sort of testing, and master branch is in a non-working
10 > state at time of writing, latest version is masked.[0]
11 >
12 > Due to nature of opentmpfiles (it's a POSIX sh script),
13 > it may be impossible to fix symlink handling and TOCTOU races.
14 > As a consequence I'll be switching default tmpfiles
15 > provider to sys-apps/systemd-tmpfiles by the end of the week by updating
16 > virtual/tmpfiles ebuild.
17 >
18 > pros of systemd-tmpfiles:
19 > 0) Secure.
20 > 1) Reference implementation.
21 > 2) Supports all features, because ^.
22 > 3) Has working tests.
23 > 4) Has millions of users as part of systemd.
24 > 5) upstream supports standalone usecase/build our ebuild uses. [1][2]
25 > 6) drop-in replacement, just emerge and forget.
26 >
27 > systemd-tmpfiles does not depend on any systemd-isms, does not need dbus,
28 > and is just a drop-in replacement, the only step needed is to emerge the
29 > package.
30 > it's a simple single binary + manpage, binary links to libacl and couple other
31 > system libs.
32 >
33 > existing installations will not be affected, but openrc users are welcome to
34 > opt-in by running 'emerge --oneshot systemd-tmpfiles'
35 >
36 > [0] https://bugs.gentoo.org/751739
37 > [1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/16061
38 > [2] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/16061/commits/db64ba81c62afa0e0d3e95c4a3e1ec3dd9a471a4