From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposing fundamental changes to DevRel
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:48:32
1 On 2010.06.17 01:00, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 [snip]
5 >
6 > 3) Let Gentoo developers vote on who's in the conflict resolution
7 > team just like we do with the council.
8 >
9 [snip]
10 >
11 > Thanks,
15 > Sebastian
18 I'm against this idea - conflict resolution, I prefer the term
19 mediation, is not something that the typical Gentoo developer is very
20 good at. For sure, they have been involved in conflicts themselves but
21 rarely, if ever, as a mediator.
22
23 I think very few developers would stand for the role - its hard work
24 ask any parent who has mediated between their offspring.
25 I would prefer mediation to draw from a pool of volunteers, probably
26 vetted by some trusted group and assigned to issues after their
27 neutrality in any particular case had been determined by some method
28 involving the protagonists. Elected mediators may well turn out to be
29 unsuitable for the role.
30
31 For myself, I would not stand for election to this role but I might
32 volunteer to help out from time to time.
35 Regards,
36
37 Roy Bamford
38 (Neddyseagoon) a member of