From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new global USE flag "srcdist"
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 02:40:22
1 On 01/01/2014 09:13 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
2 >
3 >> What use case is there for having the LICENSE apply to anything else?
4 >
5 > Some of us do redistribute the entire source package, so it does matter.
6 > If it doesn't matter to you as a user then you can always leave it
7 > unset and you remain completely oblivious to the change.
8
9 I know, but if you take a pristine source tarball from upstream and
10 distribute it to some third party, why should portage be involved?
11
12 More metadata about the licenses is obviously a good thing and I'm not
13 saying we shouldn't figure out a way to make it available in the tree
14 (we should). But LICENSE is first and foremost a user interface to the
15 package manager. I don't like the idea of overloading the portage user
16 interface for use cases entirely outside the purview of portage.
17
18 My objection is not strong, in any case, if this solves some real
19 problem and is the best available way to do it.