From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mulltiib cruft: /emul
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:33:39
1 Herbie Hopkins wrote:
2 > I'm not sure why /emul was originally chosen though it's a choice I've
3 > just gone along with whilst maintaining these packages. I've always
4 > viewed the emul libs as a temporary measure until we had full multilib
5 > fuctionality in portage. Afaik the only person working on this was
6 > eradicator who has been mia for a while now so I'm unsure weather this
7 > is ever likely to arise.
8
9 blubb was working on this but ran out of time for it or something, he
10 wrote a proto-GLEP that I've got lying around. I'm thinking of seeing
11 what I can do because the current situation really annoys me, even
12 though I don't have a multilib box.
13
14 > Given that it looks like we'll be stuck with
15 > these binary libs for some time yet then we may as well do as you
16 > suggest and install them in a standard location to make building against
17 > them a bit easier. I'll look into doing this when I next version bump the
18 > packages.
19
20 Thanks,
21 Donnie