From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pva@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: optinal run time dependencies
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:28:42
1 After some thinking, I'd like to re-state the USE_EXPAND variant
2 as having the following advantages:
3
4 1) backwards compatible -- we can make the new feature optional for
5 older EAPIs, making it useful for older ebuilds as well. If a PM
6 doesn't support it, it will just treat them as ordinary USE;
7
8 2) almost no new learning for users -- as users set flags now, they can
9 set optional deps;
10
11 3) dep (or dep groups) would be named by features and not only package
12 names,
13
14 4) easy grouping of optional dependencies -- if a particular feature
15 requires more than one optional package,
16
17 5) ability to use existing infra -- REQUIRED_USE, metadata.xml for
18 descriptions.
21 Best regards,
22 Michał Górny