From: "Miguel S. Filipe" <m3thos@×××××××.pt>
To: "Conny R. Landstedt" <connyl@×××××××.se>
Cc: kn@××××××××××.dk, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux Security Guide
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:24:21
1 Conny R. Landstedt wrote:
2
3 >To Kim Nielsen & Gentoo-dev
4 >
5 >In the "Gentoo Linux Security Guide"
8 >>Code listing 64: /etc/init.d/firewall
9 >> #Incoming traffic
10 >> einfo "Creating incoming ssh traffic chain"
11 >> $IPTABLES -N allow-ssh-traffic-in
12 >> $IPTABLES -F allow-ssh-traffic-in
13 >> $IPTABLES -A allow-ssh-traffic-in -p tcp --sport ssh -j ACCEPT
17 >I'm not absolutely certain, but shouldn't it be "--dport" instead of
18 >"--sport"?
19 >
20 >Reg. Conny
21 >
22 >_______________________________________________
23 >gentoo-dev mailing list
24 >gentoo-dev@g.o
29 I believe that the line is for ssh-traffic in.. wich means.. that you
30 connect to a server in the internet to the ssh port..
31 and the rule makes it "allowable" for you to recieve the traffic that
32 comes from the server..
33 (otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the session because you would
34 drop everything that comes from the server to you)
35
36 But that's shouldn't be needed it one uses a statefull firewall like
37 iptables...
38 In my "home made" firewall.. I have this:
39 # Accept established connections and related ones
40 $IPT -A NET -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
41 where NET represents every INPUT from the internet (network device wich
42 goes to the net)
43 so..since I accept outgoing connections to ssh(it's also in the
44 firewall), whenever I iniciate a ssh connection to the outside it
45 becomes accepted.
46
47 I'm not shure that the "allow-ssh-traffic-in" is what i've just said,
48 it's a guess since I don't know/use that firewall, but if it is, I
49 believe that something like accepting the outgoing connection & using
50 that " --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED" would make the rule set cleaner
51 and easyer to manage...
52
53 «just my two euro cents»
54
55 And by the way, anyone was able to get dcc send and receive working with
56 masquerading with iptables?
57
58 Miguel Sousa Filipe
59 Gentoo user since November 2001 ;-)
60
61 p.s.: if anyone want's to see my rule set it's in:
62
63 URL: http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~mmsf/configs/rc.icewall