From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 11:34:06
1 Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> posted
2 20090516092710.GA3221@×××××××××××××××××.de, excerpted below, on Sat, 16
3 May 2009 11:27:10 +0200:
4
5 > On Fri, 15 May 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
6
7 >> or:
8 >>
9 >> inherit versionator
10 >>
11 >> if version_is_at_least 2 ; then
12 >> EAPI="2"
13 >> else
14 >> EAPI="0"
15 >> fi
16 >
17 > I was under the impression that it's illegal to change/set the EAPI
18 > after using inherit.
19
20 The short answer, based on my understanding of posts to this point, would
21 be that it's illegal for Gentoo (in-tree, council decided), but not
22 necessarily for all the overlays and Gentoo based projects out there.
23
24 On the one hand, as a result of the above, Gentoo doesn't have to concern
25 itself with the others and can decide what's best for the Gentoo tree and
26 dev-sponsored overlays presumably targeted at eventual tree inclusion.
27 On the other, regardless of what Gentoo decides, PMs wishing widest
28 compatibility must be prepared for it anyway. If I'm not mistaken,
29 paludis has the widest deployment footprint both in practice and by goal
30 at this point, so naturally, those developing it have broader concerns
31 than just Gentoo.
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman