From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use GLEP27!
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 19:17:13
1 On 15 Dec 2015 10:24, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > i looked through portage code and we do have xml parsing sprinkled
3 > throughout, mostly in repoman for obvious reasons. why are we trying to
4 > avoid xml? to be honest i don't have strong feelings about either the
5 > flat file (a la /etc/passwd) or xml.
6 >
7 > i'm interested in this because the hardened-sources kernel does make use
8 > of some special uid/gids. gengor pointed me to glep 27 and suggested
9 > that i implement it but i wasn't that interested. still, it would clean
10 > up the hardened.
11
12 i don't think XML adds that much over RST, and are trivial to parse, both
13 on an ad-hoc basis, as well as python has modules to enable it. i think
14 most people would agree RST or flat text files are less verbose than XML
15 w/out really losing that much (if anything). at the time i was thinking
16 XML purely because we were much more of an XML shop at the time (we had
17 guidexml and metadata.xml), but with the rise of wiki/github/glep and the
18 fall of guidexml, the project has moved on.
19 -mike