From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What the hell is going on here?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:11:21
1 On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 03:52:03PM +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:51:52PM +0200, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
3 > > On Friday 17 of September 2010 12:41:51 Angelo Arrifano wrote:
4 > > > Every single QA commit review coming into my Inbox during the past week
5 > > > was directed to arfrever. I *know* he is on probation, I *know* he made
6 > > > mistakes - in fact every one makes mistakes. But you guys are hammering
7 > > > all over him for picky stuff.
8 > > >
9 > > > Remind you that while it is a pleasure to be member of Gentoo, we are
10 > > > not your slaves; we chose to spend our free time contributing to Gentoo
11 > > > for several reasons - fun, knowledge and team work. Satisfying somebody
12 > > > else's flavors and wishes is certainly *not* one of them.
13 > > >
14 > > > I never had the chance to talk with arfrever, nor I ever looked to his
15 > > > work at Gentoo. But there is one thing I definitely got right, he has a
16 > > > lot of motivation to continue in Gentoo and *offer* his time and
17 > > > knowledge, otherwise he would just raise the middle finger and go away
18 > > > after all of this bashing.
19 > >
20 > > The other important thing is such "lecturing" should probably take place in
21 > > private, like gentoo-core.
22 > >
23 > > --
24 > > regards
25 > > MM
26 >
27 > Well, Angelo is quite right for posting in this ML because QA members
28 > wants anything to be publicly visible. Angelo, I do agree with you. It
29 > seems like everyone is forcing himself to find mistakes on Arfrevers
30 > commits even the slightest one. Whilst I do agree that pointing the
31 > mistakes is a good thing, however I am totally against targeting one
32 > person just to satisfy our ego. So I you spot a commit mistake and
33 > report it via the ML make sure you do it again when someone != Arfrever
34 > do it in the future.
35 >
36 > Bye
37 >
38 > --
39 > Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
40 > Gentoo Linux Developer
41 > Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org
42 > Key ID: 441AC410
43 > Key FP: AAD0 8591 E3CD 445D 6411 3477 F7F7 1E8E 441A C410
44
45 I don't think ego has anything to do with this. Arfrever brought this on
46 himself. His [multiple] past mistakes and lack of cooperation are
47 forcing the other devs to screen all his commits now, to make sure
48 history doesn't repeat itself.
49
50 Angelo, while I agree with your general thoughts on why everyone is
51 contributing, I believe you should have gathered more intel before
52 sending an email like this. We do respect Arfrever's motivation, we just
53 need to make sure it translates to good, trustworthy work. If we didn't,
54 his request to return to Gentoo would have been denied.
55
56 Regards,
57 --
58 Alex Alexander | wired
59 Gentoo Linux Developer | Council / Qt / Chromium / more
60 www.linuxized.com