From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: heroxbd@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to support C++11 in libraries?
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 18:17:44
1 Dnia 2013-12-18, o godz. 22:58:07
2 heroxbd@g.o napisał(a):
3
4 > Hey, Michał,
5 >
6 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> writes:
7 >
8 > > a) adding USE=c++11 and USE-deps to all the packages in question,
9 >
10 > I think it is better achieved by a (simple and stupid) global
11 > CXXFLAGS. Adding an extra USE flag feels a little over-engineering.
12
13 This is nowhere near a good solution IMO.
14
15 First of all, it doesn't give us a way of ensuring ABI compatibility.
16 Users switch the flags and have to rebuild all C++ packages to regain
17 the ABI compatibility. The system ends up borked quite easily.
18
19 Then, we don't have a good way of finding packages to rebuild. Users
20 could try to find out which libraries used C++ but well... it's nowhere
21 near good. Or they just rebuild everything...
22
23 Then, many developers just won't bother. Users will be the ones to hit
24 the incompatible package build failures first.
25
26 Lastly, this gives us no way of switching to C++11 completely without
27 modifying the compiler defaults. Even if we put '-std=c++11' into
28 profiles, most of the people override CXXFLAGS and won't have it.
29
30 > Any anyway, if it is only for lldb, a piece of elog conveying a
31 > preferred solution would suffice.
32
33 elog? I think you mean dying with CXXFLAGS that don't specify
34 the necessary standard. Which is kinda backwards to REQUIRED_USE...
35
36 And then, simple CXXFLAGS solution would end up breaking users'
37 systems...
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny