From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automagic dependencies in gegl
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 09:14:17
1 * Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> schrieb:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > >Now, gegl has 13 optional dependencies that could be use-flagged. The pity
6 > >is, it has no configure-option for most of them, they are autodetected.
7
8 A good example for miserable design ;-P
9 That's why I everything should be entirely built in sysroot.
10
11 > >My experience with the gimp developers in the past was that they weren't
12 > >very pleased by bugs about automagic deps and I assume if I post them
13 > >without patches, they'll get closed immediately. Now I always avoided to
14 > >dig too deep into autotools, so I don't feel skilled enough for this task.
15 >
16 > Ping me and we could work out something, probably the best way would be
17 > hack a PKG_CONFIG_CONDITIONAL that does whatever the canned pkgconfig
18 > does+ adding the --enable option.
19
20 I strongly advise against this. The clean way is to fix the package.
21 (it's build scripts). I'm doing so in the OSS-QM project, eg. for
22 Mozilla ...
23
24 This actually is one of the typical situations what I invented
25 OSS-QM for: the upstream produces crap and is even learning resistent.
26 Doing those cleanups within individual distros is not the right thing,
27 because a) too much work for the distro maintainer and b) too much
28 duplicate work, if every distro does it by it's own.
29
30 I'd like to invite you to the OSS-QM project - let's do all the
31 cleanups there and provide overlay by patch, so all distros now
32 just have to pick their right configure args.
33
34 http://oss-qm.metux.de/
37 cu
38 --
40 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
42 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
43 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
44 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
45 http://patches.metux.de/
47 --
48 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list