From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Was: Getting Important Updates To Users)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:14:26
1 On Saturday 05 November 2005 06:34, Alec Warner wrote:
2 >
3 > emerge --changelog has no 'official' format. I believe echangelog
4 > actually puts the changes in the correct format for emerge -l to read,
5 > however not everyone uses echangelog. Many developers commit in an
6 > incompatable syntax causing the parsing to fail. This I believe, is an
7 > implementation issue. Obviously if someone is trying to get an upgrade
8 > guide to users they aren't going to commit in an incompatable format.
9
10 I would also like to add that the changelog has too much information to be
11 usefull as a news source. In all honesty, when I'm emerging a new version
12 of a package I'm not interested in keyword bumps, small cosmetic changes,
13 added auxiliary scripts or documentation. These are all documented (and
14 should be) in the changelog. If I update my system however, I'm mainly
15 interested in knowing whether something is going to break. News would be
16 a way to provide this knowledge to a user in an as concise as possible
17 way.
18
19 Paul
22 Paul de Vrieze