From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2016 18:24:55
1 On 08/07/2016 12:49 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 1:47 PM, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> On 08/07/2016 09:47 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Sounds great. What's stopping you?
6 >>>
7 >>
8 >> Why Rich, thanks for the triple compliments; is that a vote that the basic
9 >> idea(s) have merit, or sarcasm?
12 > I'm just expressing that the typical blocker is somebody willing to
13 > contribute. I don't think anybody opposes Java support on Gentoo, or
14 > having a canned installation. It takes way longer than it should to
15 > get a container running/etc.
19 I agree with all you have stated, in this entire thread. I have/am
20 working on many pieces of this this thread and many more all ready exist
21 as components, like stage-4 iso for gentoo. They are already in many
22 mirrors. Yes they are very specific, but lack some install guidelines in
23 the handbook; just exactly how to do a stage 4 install. Instructions do
24 exist that are piecemeal or legacy, but not in the handbook, nor the
25 wiki for stage-4 installs. One even struggle what docs to believe on how
26 to construct a stage-4 file for install. If wisdom from gentoo-devs is
27 these stage-4 issues are to be well hidden, at least there should
28 likewise be accurate docs with those stage-4 iso, imho.
31 I agree about secure VM and containers. I still struggle with that too;
32 hence the posting here. Today is my response to what ails gentoo; github
33 is such a minor, miniscule issue on that large question, imho.
36 My thesis:: github is not the blocker for faster and wider uptake of
37 gentoo. An easy install is the largest issue, followed by a way to
38 robustly support/offer java, are about 95% of the blocker issues to
39 gentoo update, imho. So I have suggested a variety of mechanism, for
40 discussion on gentoo update (which would lead to more gentoo devs and
41 contributions) even to the point of in a VM centric, or sister distro,
42 as potentially plausible mechanisms to attract new users (and devs) to
43 gentoo.
46 hth,
47 Jaems