From: Charles Marcus <CMarcus@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Profiles?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:34:05
I recall finding some information on something that was being worked on
that sounded very interesting. It had to do with user created 'Profiles'
or something like that. I searched the archives, and didn't find
anything on this, but I remember seeing something a while back, but now
cannot find it. I guess I can't remember the keywords I used to find it
before.

Basically, it was a way for someone to define a set of packages for
specific applications, for example:

emerge daniel-mail

would emerge a Mail Server based on the packages selected and configured
by 'Daniel' (just a Gentoo user) - say, djbdns, Postfix, Cyrus-IMAP,
OpenLDAP and Squirrelmail), with everything preconfigured to run
together, with only DNS.

What is the status of this functionality?

Thanks

Charles