From: Charles Marcus <CMarcus@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Profiles?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:34:05
1 I recall finding some information on something that was being worked on
2 that sounded very interesting. It had to do with user created 'Profiles'
3 or something like that. I searched the archives, and didn't find
4 anything on this, but I remember seeing something a while back, but now
5 cannot find it. I guess I can't remember the keywords I used to find it
6 before.
7
8 Basically, it was a way for someone to define a set of packages for
9 specific applications, for example:
10
11 emerge daniel-mail
12
13 would emerge a Mail Server based on the packages selected and configured
14 by 'Daniel' (just a Gentoo user) - say, djbdns, Postfix, Cyrus-IMAP,
15 OpenLDAP and Squirrelmail), with everything preconfigured to run
16 together, with only DNS.
17
18 What is the status of this functionality?
19
20 Thanks
21
22 Charles