From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Programs that depend on X libraries
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:24:55
1 On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 02:55:04PM -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:
2 : > /usr "clean". This is a feature many people bring up as one of the
3 : > better things in the Linux vs. *BSD. Might be worth a thought.
4 :
5 : This is interesting, but I don't think it applies to Gentoo. The NetBSD
6 : packages collection is a set of software utilities and libraries which
7 : have been ported to NetBSD. As such, they're sort of a layered product
8 : that need to be separated from the base system in order to prevent
9 : potential conflicts. (If I'm misunderstanding this, please tell me.)
10
11 You've nailed half of it on the head. The other half is that this is a
12 throwback to also separating what comes from the vendor and what
13 "aftermarket" software the user installs (a la /usr/local -- /usr/pkg is
14 just a NetBSDism for the same concept).
15
16 But you're right, for Linux this is a non-issue. Everything that is a
17 package developed and supported by a vendor goes under /usr.
18
19 : To digress a bit, I think that /usr/pkg would make sense for a set of
20 : packages that are maintained via a method separate from the base
21 : distribution. For example, if Ximian were to offer a set of rpms to
22 : install on Gentoo, they might install into /usr/pkg so as to prevent
23
24 However, this breaks common logic and standard practice. I believe that
25 according to the FHS this would still go somewhere under /opt. One can
26 hope that the Ximian folks would do the right thing and install it under
27 /opt/ximian instead of /opt/gnome.
28
29 : > > (1) The FHS says: "This hierarchy is reserved for the X Window System,
30 : > > version 11 release 6, and related files." IMHO that doesn't include
31 : > > programs that are linked against the X libraries, just programs that
32 : > > are delivered with the X distribution.
33 : >
34 : > This is a good reason for not installing in /usr/X11R6.
35 :
36 : Yes, and I think it's the reason most of our developers agree with.
37
38 The problem is that this is vague, and I suspect intentionally so. The
39 X-Open group's standard is that anything compiled for a specific version
40 of X stays with that version of X. Okay, it may not be a standard, but
41 it is recommended practice.
42
43 If other distros put X files in /usr/local it's due to the fact that
44 XFree86 is out-of-sync from the standard X distro. A hack to make it
45 easy to upgrade an entire X11 tree and then include some stub
46 libraries in order to keep from recompiling older binaries is not the
47 correct solution (IMO).
48
49 : > > (2) Consistency with other major distributions. Both Red Hat and Debian
50 : > > install programs (even those linked against X libraries) in /usr.
51 : > > (For the most part... Deviations seem to be primarily historical.)
52 : >
53 : > I don't think this weights in so much. We are pretty different from the
54 : > other distributions and tries to do the stuff the way we think is best.
55 : > This argument should (IMHO) only be used where it really doesn't matter
56 : > to us.
57 :
58 : Consistency with other major distributions carries more weight in my
59 : mind, primarily because I think it would be a shame if we fail to learn
60 : from their experience.
61
62 Please see my previous response. Personally, I'd rather do it the
63 "correct" way. Currently, all the Linux standards bodies are accepting
64 the Redhat way as the correct one. I don't think we should buy into
65 that falicy. If we do, then stop working on portage and let's start
66 cranking out RPMs.
67
68 : I don't see Gnome and KDE fitting into that category, especially since
69 : they are comprised of many different packages each (not one coherent
70 : piece).
71
72 However, GNOME and KDE are meant to be looked at as coherent
73 environments that give the user the ability to install multiple
74 components. For that reason alone, they do belong in /opt. It's no
75 different than choosing not to install all of Mozilla's or StarOffice's
76 components.
77
78 --Jerry
79
80 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
81 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
82 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
83 || than that!