From: "Herb Miller Jr." <herb@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage fork: sys-apps/portage-mgorny
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 01:01:46
1 On 03/22/2018 04:17 PM, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:03:46 +0100
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> After 2+ years of repeating disagreements with Portage maintainer(s)
6 >> I have finally decided to fork Portage. My little fork uses technical
7 >> name of 'portage[mgorny]' [1] (to distinguish it from mainline Portage),
8 >> and aims to focus on cleaning up code and adding useful features with
9 >> less concern for infinite bug-by-bug compatibility.
10 > I hope you will continue with our efforts to drive regular Portage
11 > forwards too. It's been a long road but also very productive.
12 >
13 > I notice that your fork cannot be installed at the same time as regular
14 > Portage. I think this will really hinder any interest in it. As
15 > Gentoo developers, we obviously have to make sure things work with the
16 > official package manager and that goes for you too. Would it be
17 > possible for them to coexist? I'm not saying I'll try it though, just
18 > making a suggestion. :)
19 >
20 Seems to also be blocked by other management tools such as perl-cleaner
21 and haskell-updater. I'd love to take it for a spin if you have any
22 suggestions on how to navigate the blocks.
23
24 https://paste.pound-python.org/show/VxWWAGW9PpPCS3L4Q6Z3/
25
26 ----