From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Rebooting the Installer Project
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 12:38:02
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:52:07 +0400 Jason Zaman wrote:
4 > On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 03:05:04AM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 > > Maybe a bit off-topic, but occasionally I need a tool to "fast
6 > > install Gentoo and fine-tune it later". This happens quite often on
7 > > a new job box, oh during visits where I'm given a workstation and
8 > > 3-4 hours to set it up before doing real work and so on.
9 > >
10 > > The idea is to have binary-based Gentoo ready to work on general
11 > > common hardware with such software out of the box as fully-fledged
12 > > modern gui browsers (chromium, firefox), libreoffice, xterm,
13 > > screen, vim, compilers, ldap support and other dev tools. Set of
14 > > packages may vary, but the idea is that they should work out of the
15 > > box due to tight constrains on initial system configuration (boss
16 > > should see that I'm doing my job at the end of the day).
17 > >
18 > > But afterwards I'd like to tune this setup in a usual Gentoo way:
19 > > configure kernel, USE flags, {C,CXX,F,FC,LD}FLAGS, select proper
20 > > alternatives and so on more or less accordant to the devmanual.
21 > >
22 > > Self prepared catalyst build for general ~amd64 looks appropriate
23 > > to the task, but they require too much maintenance effort: each
24 > > update is a pain and quite time consuming and I need such images
25 > > only once or twice per year, but still I need them!
26 > >
27 > > In the ideal world it would be nice to have such stage4 ebuilds
28 > > available to speed-up initial installation and configuration
29 > > process.
30 >
31 > Take a look at the new project Blueness is working on:
32 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:RelEng_GRS
33 >
34 > It basically builds binpkgs for a few standard configurations so it
35 > sounds exactly like what you want.
36
37 Thanks. Idea is really nice and when it'll be ready for real-life
38 usage, I'll try it too. But right now it is a work-in-progress and
39 I can't find any usable images.
40
41 For now for practical issues I'll look into Sabayon like
42 recommended by Duncan in another reply.
43
44 Best regards,
45 Andrew Savchenko