From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Happy 10th birthday (in advance)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:01:41
1 On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 03:06:36 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > The problem with preserved-libs (and emerge --jobs, for that
4 > > matter) is that the design is "I can think of a few ways where it
5 > > might break, so I'll hard-code in special cases to handle those,
6 > > but in general I can't think of what other problems there are so
7 > > it's fine". That's a bad way of doing things.
8 >
9 > Then don't use it. Reality is, gentoo does.
10 >
11 > If you don't like that fact, I suggest you stick to exherbo.
12 >
13 > Related, why the hell are you still even around here?
14
15 Because unlike you, I believe Gentoo can and should get it right. If
16 users want a desktoppy distribution where stuff sort of works most of
17 the time but no-one really understands why, and where you reinstall
18 every six months, then Ubuntu already does a far better job of that.
19 Gentoo can deliver something better.
20
21 It's not even more work. It just requires a small change in thought
22 process from "code first and ask questions later" to "think first and
23 then code". That, together with incrementally fixing existing bad
24 design decisions, could bring Gentoo back towards being an extremely
25 attractive alternative distribution.
26
27 > I wouldn't care if it weren't the fact your gentoo dev posts
28 > generally consist of "xyz is stupid, as is the people behind it"
29 > whether it be portage, udev, council, etc, take your pick.
30
31 No, what I actually say is *why* things don't work, and if it hasn't
32 already been explained, I say how to fix it. But the first step towards
33 getting something fixed is admitting that there's a problem, and you've
34 always been awfully reluctant to do that until the damage has already
35 been done.
38 Ciaran McCreesh