From: "Henri Schomäcker" <henri.schomaecker@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Apache 2 & gentoo-standarts
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 11:59:56
1 Am Donnerstag, 3. Oktober 2002 14:58 schrieben Sie:
2 > You are still forced to have a different ebuild for the majority of modules
3 > (unless somebody implements a USE apache2) as many build differently for
4 > apache2 (i.e. mod_php ./configure --with-apache2).
5 >
6 > Tom Veldhouse
7
8 Yes, you`re right, but that`s what I meant:
9
10 We have to change the ebuild for those modules, too to fit both versions of
11 apache. I know we could do a...
12
13 if [ "`use apache2`" ]; then commands; fi
14
15 ...if we had that use-param.
16
17 but as long as we don`t have it, if shouldn`t be a problem to use a query
18 like...
19
20 emerge -s '^apache$' | awk '/installed/ {print $4}'
21 (just try it on the commandline)
22
23 ...instead. This should do the job correctly and configure the mod_XYZs for
24 the actual installed version, if we change those ebuilds, too to fit these
25 requirements.
26
27 In my opinion, we even shouldn`t have a apache2 use-var, because it really
28 only would be needed as long as the ebuilds of the _modules_ are not set up
29 to determine the installed apache-version. What I mean is: It's not the
30 apache2 itself which would require another path!
31
32 Using such a version-query in the apache ebuild itself about the
33 actual/prvious installed apache version, we could also automate the update of
34 eg. mod_php.
35
36 What would happen while an apache installation or update would be:
37 - Hey, which version of apache is installed now, if any?
38 - None? > O.k. let's just install apache version 2.x.x
39 - Version1.3.x? > o.K. install apache version 2.x.x first, then ...
40 in postinstall:
41 emerge --update php
42 (...which itself will also again query the
43 newly installed
44 apache-version and configure for that
45 version.)
46
47 This would let everybody update apache 1.3.x to 2.x whenever he/she wants
48 including the extra modules without having to change more than editing the
49 httpd.conf.
50
51 (O.K. It only works if the new installed version is added as installed version
52 to the portage-tree before the postinstall-routine. Haven`t figured that out,
53 yet, but I`m sure there is a way to do that.
54 Maybe we will have to run emerge inject apache-${PV} in postinstall before
55 calling the modules update routine)
56
57 What do you think?
58
59 Yours Henri
62 | Henri Schomäcker - VIRTUAL HOMES
63 | Datendesign für Internet und Intranet
64 | henri.schomaecker_at_virtual-homes.de
65 | http://www.virtual-homes.de
66 | Public Key: /.gnupg/public_key.txt
67 --