From: Patrick Kursawe <phosphan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] some portage related issues
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:27:37
1 On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:35:36PM +0300, Dan Podeanu wrote:
2
3 > The standard Gentoo installation requires one to recompile the linux kernel.
4 > A kernel WILL NOT be 100% stable if its compiled with a 3.3.x gcc, although
5 > this will be only really visible in certain conditions (higher traffic in
6 > terms of requests, cpu load, etc. generally server usage).
7
8 The Gentoo mirror I administer serves an average of > 100 GB/day, with a
9 gcc 3.x compiled kernel, and I didn't notice any problem.
10
11 > Please note, not 2.95.3 and above (re: Greg KH). And again, compiled with
12 > 3.3.2 the kernel behaves strange, as opposed to when its compiled with
13 > 2.95.3. But thats just personal experience.
14
15 Yes, it seems so. I would not try to make a rule of your personal
16 experience. Nice to know that this really happens sometimes, though.
17
18 Bye, Patrick