From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Customised Gentoo "system"
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:04:33
1 On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:01:00 -0600 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 08:45:46AM -0400, Sean Mitchell wrote:
5 > > Perhaps I've missed this in the docs somewhere, but I'm not sure
6 > exactly
7 > > what happens when I "emerge system".
8 > >
9 > > I presume there is a file somewhere that defines "system". What I'd
10 > like to
11 > > do is create a custom one with a view to building a secure server.
12 > >
13 > > Can anyone shed a little light on this or point me to some docs that
14 > will
15 > > help?
16 >
17 > From "emerge --help system":
18 >
19 > emerge [ options ] system
20 >
21 > "emerge system" is the Portage system update command. When run, it
22 > will scan the /etc/make.profile/packages file and determine what
23 > packages need to be installed so that your system meets the minimum
24 > requirements of your current system profile. Note that this doesn't
25 > necessarily bring your system up-to-date at all; instead, it just
26 > ensures that you have no missing parts. For example, if your system
27 > profile specifies that you should have sys-apps/iptables installed
28 > and you don't, then "emerge system" will install it (the most
29 > recent version that matches the profile spec) for you. It's always a
30 > good idea to do an "emerge --pretend system" before an "emerge
31 > system", just so you know what emerge is planning to do.
34 The answer is quite informative, but what is "your current system
35 profile"?
36 --
37 Collins Richey
38 Denver Area