From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Change layout of distfiles
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 17:39:23
1 On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 16:02:06 +0000
2 Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 07:59:14AM -0500 or thereabouts, Alec Warner
5 > wrote:
6 > > I believe the Infrastructure team also doesn't want to change the
7 > > layout, but I'll leave it up to them to comment on their own
8 > > policy ;)
9 >
10 > We'd love to change the layout to something similar to what Michael
11 > proposed. It's the actual changeover process that scares the bejesus
12 > out of us. Many of our mirrors have diligent, professional admins
13 > who will work with us to make the change. Some of our other mirrors
14 > don't. It's easy to say, "well, screw those others, then" except
15 > when you consider that our users will be the ones to feel the pain if
16 > a mirror doesn't pick up on the change (or support the necessary
17 > sym/hard linking mojo to make it work)
18 >
19 > If we can come up with a seamless, painless transition process, great,
20 > let's make it happen.
21
22 As long as the mirrors provide the files at the current address (via
23 hardlinks, redirects or rewrite magic doesn't matter) I don't see an
24 issue from the portage side, of course if the mirror script uses
25 portage we have to take a look at that. But such a change would be an
26 internal infra thing more or less.
27 I'm very opposed however to any client side changes, not only for
28 transitioning issues but also as this would require special casing code
29 for gentoo mirrors, both in mirror:// and GENTOO_MIRRORS handling, and
30 as TGL has mentioned there are some cases where we can't be sure if we
31 have a mirror with this new or a "traditional" structure. If at all
32 this would need a generic solution, something that's probably a bit too
33 complex for a (minor?) performance issue.
34
35 Marius
40 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
41 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.