From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:16:05
1 Sami Näätänen wrote:
2 > On Monday 13 June 2005 23:54, Sven Wegener wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 03:40:34PM -0500, Kito wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>what about just a use.env?
7 >>
8 >>I find that a little bit misleading. Sounds like "use this
9 >>environment" or so.
12 > How about use.lock, which would lock the listed use flags from normal
13 > usage.
14
15 Something like this would be useful for some arch profiles (including subarch
16 profiles), where we may need to set specialized USE flags. Like n32 in
17 mips/mips64/n32, or cobalt in mips/cobalt, or ip28 in mips/mips64/ip28. These
18 make sure that these specific profiles work as intended, and despite how much
19 notice we may put out regarding USE flags in these specific profiles, there is
20 always someone out there that will think otherwise and try to disable them, then
21 wonder why things break.
22
23 I'm all for choice, but a very specific, very limited set of USE flags that need
24 to be forced on if using a specific profile would be great. make.defaults works
25 for the most part, but people can override it with USE="-* blah1 blah2 foo bar"
26 IIRC.
29 --Kumba
32 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
33 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
34
35 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
36 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list