From: Meir Kriheli <mksoft@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-stats NG proposed design
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:03:20
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Hi,
5
6 After giving some thought to the issue (and looking at the prev -stats
7 implementation details), here's the proposed design for the new -stats.
8
9 I'd love commoents, new ideas or what's else on your mind, so it can be taken
10 into account upon implementation.
11
12 1. xml-rpc for communications
13
14 Seperation of communication mechanism from data. This will prevent the need to
15 track different protocols as the server/client evolve (we can add more fields
16 to struct, unaware clients can ignore them). It's standarts based (XML over
17 HTTP), and save the need for implementing the protocol itself (or
18 tracking/handling/parsing GET/POST params for with the client for example).
21 2. client side. Rewrite with python (now in perl)
22
23 Will allow us to tap into portage API if/when needed.
24
25 Python already installed on all gentoo systems, and includes all the
26 needed modules (including xml-rpc). Current perl client depends on
27 additional perl modules (e.g: MIME-Base64, URl, HTML-Tagset and more).
30 3. Server side
31
32 Rewrite with PHP. PHP's PEAR has a good xml-rpc implementation.
33
34 Redesign and normalize the db, use prefix for tables (will ease deployment in
35 case of a need to share db fex). Accomodate additional features (searchable
36 package files list?).
37
38 Check possiblity of interaction with the new packages.gentoo.org system
39 (fex: getting the current package list) ?
40
41 Utilize smarty for web interface (seperate code from display).
44 4. Delpoment machine
45
46 Development will take place under my own server for now . Will be deployed on
47 gentoo's infrastructure upon completion. Hope we can utilize a cvs module for
48 it, allowing others to participate.
49
50 Cheers
51 - --