From: Nick Jones <carpaski@g.o>
To: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Portage, SLOT, functionality, documentation, ChangeLog
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:40:00
1 > Portage has an abhorrent lack of documentation, I'd like to see
2 > that changed. Possibly (especially) before a 1.4 release.
3
4 This is mentioned every once in a while, but to 'see that changed'
5 really does not help. SpanKY and a few other (greatly appreciated
6 individuals) make great contributions towards documenting all the
7 little bits that are missing, but, as you note, there is a lot that
8 needs to be worked out. Time and I are not great friends, but I try
9 to keep up with what I make changes to (albeit most are only noted
10 in the changelog, make.conf, and emerge --help).
11
12 Care to help?
13
14 > A roadmap would also help a lot of people rest easy at night.
15 > Whether it is the case or not, it seems as if major changes take
16 > place in Portage on a whim. If they are planned, the general
17 > userbase has no foreknowledge of said plans and these changes
18 > come as a complete surprise when finally marked stable in the
19 > tree (if people even know they exist, due to the aforementioned
20 > lack of documentation).
21
22 Well... It's not on a whim... But I'll be working on improving
23 (read: creating) the public project plan/roadmap... as most of
24 it is my written notes and bugs.gentoo.org.
25
26 --NJ
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list