From: Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Multiple version suffixes illegal in gentoo-x86
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:16:13
1 Am Dienstag, 24. April 2007 schrieb Danny van Dyk:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > [CC'ing council@g.o as requested by GLEP amendment from March 8th,
5 > 2007]
6 >
7 > A subset of council members decided today that multiple version
8 > suffixes are illegal in the tree pending further notice. This
9 > decission can be appealed at the next Council meeting. If there is
10 > sufficient public demand, an earlier meeting can be held.
11 >
12 > This decission has been made to prevent sufficient precedence for
13 > unilateral changes to the tree structure. So far the following
14 > package versions are considered illegal:
15 >
16 > media-viode/mplayer-1.0_rc2_pre20070321-r4
17 > media-video/transcode-1.0.3_rc2_p20070310-r1
18
19 As requested by Daniel (dsd) on irc, let me state what is wrong with
20 these versions:
21
22 All upstream version suffixes may only be used once. This doesn't affect
23 the -r1 (ebuild revision) suffix, as that is no upstream suffix but
24 internal to Gentoo's versioning scheme only.
25
26 Examples:
27
28 * _alphaX_betaY -> illegal
29 * _rcX_preY -> illegal
30 * _alphaX_preY -> illegal
31 * ...
32 * _{rc,alpha,beta,...}-rX -> legal
33
34 The rationale behind this is the following:
35
36 * certain combinations of suffixes don't make sense.
37 * only recent Portage versions support it.
38
39 If this feature should be allowed again then we need to document a
40 sensible subset of suffix-combinations prior to adding them to the
41 tree.
42
43 Hope that clarifies it a bit more :-)
44 Danny
45 --
46 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
47 Gentoo/AMD64 Project, Gentoo Scientific Project
48 --
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list