From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, dotnet@g.o, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>, nicolasbock@g.o, swegener@g.o, monsieurp@g.o, zlogene@g.o, x11@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Inconsistent use of || preferences for www-client/elinks, links, lynx, w3m, and w3mmee
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 06:30:53
Hi all (especially package owners in CC),

In various packages we have inconsistent use of || preferences for
www-client/elinks, links, lynx, w3m, and w3mmee. This means that the
default preference depends on the combination of packages that one has
installed and the order that one has installed them, leading to
unpredictable results.

Here is a list of relevant packages and their dependencies:

app-text/docbook-sgml-utils: || ( www-client/lynx www-client/links
www-client/elinks virtual/w3m )
app-text/sgmltools-lite: || ( www-client/w3m www-client/lynx )
app-text/xmlto: || ( virtual/w3m www-client/lynx www-client/elinks )
dev-lang/mono: || ( www-client/links www-client/lynx )
mail-client/mutt: || ( www-client/lynx www-client/w3m www-client/elinks )
mail-client/neomutt: || ( www-client/lynx www-client/w3m www-client/elinks )
net-irc/irssi: || ( www-client/lynx www-client/elinks )
sys-fs/gt5: || ( www-client/links www-client/elinks www-client/lynx )
x11-base/xorg-server: || ( www-client/links www-client/lynx www-client/w3m )

How about if we create some more virtuals to cover all of the relevant
cases?

We've already got virtual/w3m to cover this particular case:

    || ( www-client/w3m www-client/w3mmee )

We might want to use nested virtuals, in the same way that virtual/jdk
nests under virtual/jre.
--
Thanks,
Zac