From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmerging and CONFIG_PROTECT
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:03:35
1 begin quote
2 On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 01:40:20 +1100
3 Troy Dack <tad@g.o> wrote:
7 > Perhaps ebuilds that provide services should start using the
8 > pkg_prerm/pkg_postrm and pkg_preinst/pkg_postinst functions to do
9 > things
10 > like:
11 > Stop the currently running service
12 > Start the new service
13 >
14 > I seem to remember from my days of using RH that when installing a new
15 > version of something like apache, once the new version was in place,
16 > the service was restarted, but I could be wrong.
20 This is an nice idea. however, if you have config file protection, the
21 old config will be in place. Then either the service script wouldn't be
22 updated.. or the config file might need a change, so instead of leaving
23 a working service running, you'd auto stop it, at which point it goes
24 down, and then fails to start again.
25
26 Doing this is -painful- and will hurt badly on remote machines. (oh
27 yeah, sshd was shutdown, and not started again due to broken
28 configfile..)
29
30 even worse for crypto devices and so on, aye?
31
32 doing it this way could very well lead to complete chaos.
33
34 //Spider
38 begin .signature
39 Tortured users / Laughing in pain