From: Stelian Ionescu <sionescu@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] news item: changes to stages (make.conf and make.profile)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 09:25:35
1 On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 20:55 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 11:42:31AM +0200, Ralph Sennhauser wrote
3 >
4 > > man 5 portage about files in /etc/portage
5 > >
6 > > make.conf
7 > > The global custom settings for Portage. See make.conf(5). If
8 > > present, this file will over??? ride settings from /etc/make.conf.
11 > > > 3. This news item is really useful, since the change has a potential
12 > > > to break automated builds.
13 > >
14 > > We aren't discussing dropping support for the old locations here but
15 > > about makeing the new location the default.
16 >
17 > This has the potential to cause problems for people who do things "the
18 > old way", and find that their settings in /etc/make.conf are not being
19 > applied. Instead of a news item, maybe we should be looking at warnings
20 > and/or errors in "emerge"...
21 >
22 > 1) If there is a /etc/make.conf, but no /etc/portage/make.conf, emerge
23 > should generate an ewarn message. Is emerge smart enough to generate
24 > only one ewarn even though it's emerging umpteen packages?
25 >
26 > 2) If there is a /etc/make.conf *AND* a /etc/portage/make.conf, emerge
27 > should halt immediately with an error message. If a user has made a
28 > /etc/make.conf, they will probably expect it to take effect, which is
29 > not what's going to happen. This will save the user forums from being
30 > hit with the same question over and over about settings in /etc/make.conf
31 > being ignored.
32
33 I'd go for a little more sophistication: it should exit with an error
34 if /etc/make.conf is present and is not a symlink
35 to /etc/portage/make.conf, because until all tools support the new
36 location such a symlink might be necessary
37
38 > 3) When support for /etc/make.conf is finally dropped, the presence of
39 > /etc/make.conf should make emerge halt immediately with an error message.
40
41 1+
44 Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix
45 Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
46 http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib