From: m1027 <m1027@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: app-portage/flaggie
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2022 19:12:40
1 > > So I will deeply miss flaggie! Despite some issues it is a very
2 > > helpful thing once you know it, e.g. for automated USE flag changes
3 > > over ssh in a server farm.
4 >
5 > Hmm, that's a use case I didn't think of (and I didn't know anyone is
6 > actually using flaggie non-interactively). I guess most of the time you
7 > could get away with something like:
8 >
9 > echo app-foo/bar baz >> /etc/portage/package.use/local.conf
10 >
11 > etc.
12
13 Yeah but... flaggie interprets all such files and it is able to keep
14 them clean by just editing it at the right place (well, mostly)
15 instead of having the same package being tweaked at mutiple places
16 back and forth again.
17
18 > To be honest, I'm thinking of starting from scratch like all cool
19 > programmers do these days. Perhaps I should aim for a very simple tool
20 > that doesn't try to represent all Portage configuration in AST
21 > and instead just does plain manipulations. So perhaps they'll
22 > be a flaggie2 after all.
23
24 Oh, yes, please. "Just" something that does the monkey work of
25 such flag manipulations.
26
27 BTW: I'd really love to keep flaggie until there is your cool new
28 flaggie2 and I'm very willing to ignore my bug report:
29 https://bugs.gentoo.org/746542
30
31 ;-)
32