From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dying on some CFLAGS instead of filtering them.
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:39:47
1 Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2
3 > Well yes, but an ebuild that dies, whatever the reason, hasn't much to
4 > do with interactivity.
5
6 Fine. Call it the don't-kill-the-emerge-for-silly-reasons philosophy if you
7 like. I personally don't prefer it, but a lot of people think it's a good idea.
8
9 > What will follow isn't only for you. You guys are focusing on the
10 > die/filter alternative. Maybe you haven't noticed but I have never
11 > stated that I'd prefer ebuilds to die or filter. What I wanted to
12 > discuss is can't we do something globally to avoid these bugs coming
13 > in, so that we can focus on something else. I don't care yet if it's
14 > filtering or dying. And never did I talk about educating the masses.
15
16 Well, your first two questions asked whether ebuilds should die rather than
17 filter, and what other flags ebuilds should die on, so go figure that we're
18 talking about filtering and dying. :o
19
20 Is there a way to do this globally across X architectures and Y GCC versions
21 with Z number of flags across 11191 packages? That's not even taking into
22 account multiple flags and their influence on each other. Trying to find and
23 filter every combination of the above is like trying to make a list of every
24 single thing on earth you shouldn't stick up your nose. It doesn't work that
25 way. You just say "hey, don't stick things up your nose. if you do, you live
26 with the consequences". Once in a while someone decides not to listen and does
27 something stupid. We all laugh at them, and go about our day.
28
29 > I explained I was talking about a global system, with a possibility
30 > for ebuilds/users that wanted/needed it to opt out. It's much easier
31 > to "unblock" --fast-math for libao than going through idontknowhowmany
32 > bugs about the same number of packages that break with --fast-math,
33 > for example.
34
35 You're missing my point. Flags that are harmful to some codebases are
36 beneficial or even essential to others. This is my question to you: tell me
37 how you're going decide what options are going to be blacklisted when all of
38 them have a specific purpose and use, however corner-case that use could be.
39 There are no "bad" and "good" flags. There are broken flags, of course. Every
40 GCC release we get to guess which ones don't work right any more. ;)
41
42 What it sounds like you're interested in is a whitelist. We already have
43 strip-flags (see setup-allowed-flags in flag-o-matic.eclass). Turning that on
44 globally however would incite rioting.
45
46 I suppose a way to match flag and GCC version number against a list of known
47 broken flags (ie. _not_ flags that can break things, but flags that are broken
48 themselves. note the difference.) wouldn't be too bad. It's generally known
49 that, say, -frename-registers is broken in 4.0 or -fnew-ra in 3.x just doesn't
50 work. The number wouldn't be too high. Still, I don't know if it would be
51 worth it. It's still much easier just to fix breakage if it happens, and
52 INVALID anyone who files ricer bugs.
53
54 > Let's count together the number of GCC versions we should really care
55 > about. 3.4, 4.1, any others ?
56
57 2.95.3, 3.1.1, 3.2.2, 3.2.3, 3.3.2, 3.3.5, 3.3.6, 3.4.1, 3.4.4, 3.4.5, 3.4.6,
58 4.0.2, 4.1.0, 4.1.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.x, 5.x, and etc. You wouldn't propose a
59 short-term solution that doesn't include all compilers supported by Gentoo,
60 would you? ;) Yes, minor bumps have changed flag behaviour in the past.
61
62 >> Mad props to the bug-wranglers, but I don't think it'll be a cakewalk to
63 >> automate this in any sane way.
64 >
65 > Automate what ?
66
67 Whatever this vague global mechanism you're talking about that's supposed to end
68 CFLAG bugs, save us so much time, and prevent users from ever doing stupid
69 things. I mean, if it wasn't automagickal, how would it be any different than
70 what we're doing now?
71
72 > Since when is being a learning tool one of the goals of Gentoo ?
73
74 ... I can't reply to this without being rude, so I'll leave it alone.
77 --de.