From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 05:58:38
1 On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 06:52 -0700, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Folks-
3 >
4 > Keeping it short and quick, a basic glep has been written for what I'm
5 > proposing for DEPENDENCIES enhancement.
6 >
7 > The live version of the doc is available at
8 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~ferringb/unified-dependencies/extensible_dependencies.html
9 >
10 > Wording fixes will occur, but the core concept shouldn't change (and
11 > if it does, per PEP standards, the changes will be noted/tracked).
12 >
13 > Please have a read through; it should be clear/concise as to why PM
14 > authors are pushing for a unified dependencies to be done, what we can
15 > get from it now, what it enables moving forward, and the direct cost
16 > to devs should this idea be implemented.
17 >
18 > Just to be absolutely clear, what I'm proposing is basically zero cost
19 > for devs- they can (and should when it's in their benefit) switch to
20 > the new syntax when it makes their job easier; it can be used in
21 > parallel to existing DEPEND/RDEPEND/PDEPEND both to ease
22 > transition/compatibility.
23 >
24 > In addition, a prototype portage patch has been cut for dependencies
25 > support (needs work/full validation), and a matching pkgcore one has
26 > been cut.
27 >
28 > I realize it's a complex subject; if you have questions, please feel
29 > to ask.
30 >
31 > Thanks, and pardon the ancillary/daft noise that has gone with this
32 > subject.
33 >
34 > ~harring
37 I like the idea of a unified DEPENDENCIES. Potential flame wars aside,
38 I also like the extended USE flag syntax approach. While it would be
39 nice to loose the repetitive "dep:" portion, I can understand the
40 importance of maintaining a namespace ID to prevent it from being
41 injected where it does not belong. It adds to the consistency of the
42 USE flag syntax while condensing the results. Reducing the size will
43 help speed things along as well as reduce resource overhead (rsyncing
44 the tree).
45
46 I think it will be a good step forward in the evolution of gentoo.
47
48 I would also put forth effort to help with tools to help devs migrate
49 and check correctness before committing.
50 --
51 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>