From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: new category, app-containers
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 17:13:36
1 On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On śro, 2017-06-14 at 11:11 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> All,
4 >>
5 >> I am about to write two new ebuilds for packages for Gentoo that are for
6 >> container-related utilities.
7 >>
8 >> Currently, the best place to put them would be app-emulation, or
9 >> app-misc or dev-util, probably app-emulation would be my first choice.
10 >>
11 >> Is it time to start thinking about an app-containers category?
12 >> If so, is it ok for me to start an app-containers category with these
13 >> packages then we can look into moving other packages to it?
16 > You don't create a new category for two packages. Do you have more use
17 > cases for it? I think usually people provide a fair number of existing
18 > packages that are in different categories to prove the necessity
19 > of a new category.
20
21 I'm on the fence about whether we should create a new category, but
22 presumably other things like docker/etc would end up in there as well.
23
24 "Emulation" is a bit of a generic category right now. We don't
25 distinguish between actual emulation vs virtualization or
26 containerization. I'm not sure if there is value in making that
27 distinction, or if we did if even those three categories would be
28 sufficient.
31 Rich