From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: foser <foser@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] *IMPORTANT* top-level management structure!
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:17:14
1 On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:32:34PM +0200, foser wrote:
2 > If we want to do it right this time let's give it the time it needs. The
3 > more plans come and go the more confusing and unorganized it gets.
4
5 Let's allow feedback to collect for a day or even two more, and then we
6 should have an idea on what's left to do before implementing this plan.
7
8 Then we will set an implementation schedule, with a deadline that we all
9 work towards. The only thing I want to see is that we complete this as soon
10 as possible while at the same time ensuring that we do it "right".
11
12 > Well, as i can remember ~ stuff was added as a place to test ebuilds of
13 > (what we consider) stable stuff : new stable releases, changes to the
14 > layout, adding patches and giving it some testing, etc. There is no use
15 > in dividing this up in subprojects cause the same ebuild will be taken
16 > care of by the same teams.
17
18 I'm actually thinking of a different purpose for the ~x86 team. They can
19 focus on monitoring for new versions of sources, and informing the
20 appropriate herds of new sources so that we keep up-to-date. Second, they
21 can stay in touch with people actually running the ~x86 tree on their
22 systems and be responsible for tracking/keeping apprised of inter-herd
23 issues and informing the appropriate herd(s). Quite a few people run ~x86
24 all the time, and we should try to be as responsive as possible to these
25 people since they are helping us test stuff.
26
27 Then we have a team we can turn to to get a status update on the current
28 state of ~x86 -- what problems people are having, where we are not quite
29 up-to-date, what inter-herd conflicts exist, etc. So it will be more of a
30 supportive role for our herd structure.
31
32 Comments/suggestions are welcome.
35 Daniel Robbins
36 Chief Architect, Gentoo Linux