From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: foser <foser@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] *IMPORTANT* top-level management structure!
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 19:17:14
On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:32:34PM +0200, foser wrote:
> If we want to do it right this time let's give it the time it needs. The > more plans come and go the more confusing and unorganized it gets.
Let's allow feedback to collect for a day or even two more, and then we should have an idea on what's left to do before implementing this plan. Then we will set an implementation schedule, with a deadline that we all work towards. The only thing I want to see is that we complete this as soon as possible while at the same time ensuring that we do it "right".
> Well, as i can remember ~ stuff was added as a place to test ebuilds of > (what we consider) stable stuff : new stable releases, changes to the > layout, adding patches and giving it some testing, etc. There is no use > in dividing this up in subprojects cause the same ebuild will be taken > care of by the same teams.
I'm actually thinking of a different purpose for the ~x86 team. They can focus on monitoring for new versions of sources, and informing the appropriate herds of new sources so that we keep up-to-date. Second, they can stay in touch with people actually running the ~x86 tree on their systems and be responsible for tracking/keeping apprised of inter-herd issues and informing the appropriate herd(s). Quite a few people run ~x86 all the time, and we should try to be as responsive as possible to these people since they are helping us test stuff. Then we have a team we can turn to to get a status update on the current state of ~x86 -- what problems people are having, where we are not quite up-to-date, what inter-herd conflicts exist, etc. So it will be more of a supportive role for our herd structure. Comments/suggestions are welcome. -- Daniel Robbins Chief Architect, Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org