From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LFS QA warnings coming soon to a build near you
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 08:27:09
1 On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 10:13:54 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 01 Jun 2015 10:15, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 31 May 2015 11:17:50 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
6 > > > (3) considering the glibc effort has been stalled for over a year,
7 > > > (1) is something we can help accomplish and make reasonable
8 > > > progress on (4) glibc isn't the only one that implements LFS in a
9 > > > transparent backwards compatible manner
10 > >
11 > > maybe the fact that some file operations are broken with glibc's
12 > > default settings on a somewhat popular fs would be a good argument
13 > > to un-stall it ?
14 >
15 > it isn't that black & white. while for many packages the change
16 > would be harmless, glibc is more conservative than that. it can be
17 > shown that a not uncommon coding style is to use long's everywhere
18 > when dealing with the fs. when sizeof(off_t)==sizeof(long), this
19 > works out. when off_t is suddenly twice as large, then you can get
20 > truncation at best (which is kind of the status quo) and random
21 > corruption at worse (like an API that takes pointers to off_t's but
22 > the caller passed in a long). if you want to join the list upstream
23 > and contribute to the discussion, you're more than welcome to. the
24 > maintainers aren't clueless -- they fully understand the trade-offs
25 > we're discussing here and know that 32bit fs accesses lead to
26 > failures (including stat).
27 >
28 > since sitting on our hands and hoping for the best continues to
29 > accomplish nothing, getting the various upstream packages to opt-in
30 > to LFS themselves can make real progress now.
33 agreed, thanks for the explanation
34
35 i take it as the main goal of these qa warnings is to fix the above
36 mentioned half broken packages and that pushing lfs flags everywhere is
37 a slow but safe way to achieve it :)
38
39 it'd be interesting to have data about how many packages can break;
40 my belief is that more than half the c/c++ programs use one way or
41 another fs ops but maybe less than one in a thousand will break; i can
42 understand this is still too much for a libc (even though other
43 'breaking fixes' weren't so controversial in the past), and we'll see
44 after gathering the data your qa warnings will provide
45
46 > > > which leads me to the next part ... my first suggestion in the
47 > > > tracker is for autotool based projects to use AC_SYS_LARGEFILE
48 > > > because: (a) it supports a variety of systems
49 > > > (b) as new systems come up or bugs are found or whatever, the
50 > > > autoconf macro will improve and people eventually get those fixes
51 > > > for free (c) it does it all transparently for you -- add the
52 > > > macro and you're done (d) it fixes the package for all users, new
53 > > > & old
54 > > >
55 > > > the reason i listed only the raw CPPFLAGS and autoconf macros are
56 > > > because those are the two i'm familiar with. i don't know how
57 > > > other build systems (e.g. cmake) support this (assuming they do
58 > > > at all). if people have other recipes on hand, then it would be
59 > > > great to collect more there.
60 > >
61 > > yes, but that is not what i am discussing: unless i missed
62 > > something, they'll all end up one way or another adding the
63 > > relevant defines; whether it is done with an m4 macro,
64 > > append-lfs-flags, a cmake function or what else is an
65 > > implementation detail of little interest to me trying to understand
66 > > why we don't simply change the default :)
67 >
68 > as i already said, changing the default in *glibc* doesn't help
69 > non-glibc systems.
70
71 even with ten different libc's, the order of magnitude is still smaller
72 for changing the default :)
75 Alexis.