From: Fuper <futurist@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Moving root
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:50:20
1 Tomorrow I'm taking the LPI 101 certification exam but tonight I'm feeling
2 stupid because I'm not sure how to move the root partition under Gentoo
3 Linux. It's the devfs that confuses me.
4
5 I replicated the / partition onto a new SCSI partition using
6 star -c /etc | star -x -C /mnt/partition
7 and so forth. I replicated /dev this same way.
8
9 Of course I edited the /etc/fstab file on the new root.
10
11 when I first booted the new partition I noticed a message
12 at the end, after executing my /etc/runlevels/default/local
13 script, complaining that
14 cat: mounts # no such file or directory
15 I looked at /sbin/rc and saw there that it contains a line
16 to "cat mounts" which I changed to "cat /proc/mounts".
17 The error message is no longer produced, but in
18 checking the mounted filesystems I see that I now have
19 a "new" filesystem that I didn't have before. I.e.
20 # df -h
21 /dev/sdb1 471M 153M 293M 35% /
22 none 471M 153M 293M 35% /dev
23
24 What the heck is this "none" device mounted at /dev??
25
26 Q: is the "cat mounts" command in /sbin/rc an error?
27 Q: how should I properly populate /dev on a new
28 root partition?
29 Q: what can explain the "none" filesystem mounted
30 at my new /dev
31
32 [I'm still booting the old root partition until I understand
33 what's going on]