From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] fix binary debug support, part elevenity billion + 1
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:16:08
1 On Wednesday 07 June 2006 16:10, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > > Zac Medico wrote: [Wed Jun 07 2006, 01:30:38PM CDT]
4 > >> Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > >>> this is a *huge* con ... developers are lazy, *i'm* lazy ... i
6 > >>> certainly do not want to go through every single package i maintain
7 > >>> and add 'debug-build' to IUSE or 'inherit some-new-eclass'
8 > >>
9 > >> Sometimes it takes a little extra work to do things right, but
10 > >> hopefully it will pay off in the long run. A poor design decision
11 > >> made now can haunt us for years to come.
12 > >
13 > > A "little extra work"? I'm pretty sure that such an eclass would be
14 > > required for better than half the tree (every package that contains some
15 > > C or C++). If almost everybody has to add the same piece of
16 > > boilerplate to their ebuilds, then perhaps a sane package manager should
17 > > be able to figure out what to do without the boilerplate. That
18 >
19 > It's a slippery slope when we start to incorporate special cases like that
20 > into a generic package manager. Where does it end? The same argument
21 > could be made again and again to add more special cases that further
22 > pollute the package manager. We already have a standard solution for cases
23 > such as this, and that is to share the specialized functionality via an
24 > eclass.
25
26 the package maintainer provides some sane defaults ... the idea is for the
27 full configuration to be offloaded to the profiles
28
29 > Well, I'd say that per-package environment variables would be a better way
30 > to implement per-package CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, etc.. There is a patch attached
31 > to bug 44796 that implements this. Note that the debug-build.bashrc
32 > attached to my last post actually allows per-package debug-build via
33 > package.use.
34
35 ok ? so what's stopping it from being integrated ? people want it ;)
36 -mike